Yesterday, we were treated to the revelation from a self-declared “free market Christian” that “the Left” is “intolerant” and a lecture from a smug Conservative commenter about the “angry Left”…
With that bit of context in mind, comes the story from The Telegraph that a “bigoted backlash against President-elect Barack Obama, America’s first black leader, threatens to snuff out the post-election glow of racial progress and harmony.” Amongst the disgusting incidents included as part of the “Conservative backlash” is the story that:
In Madison County, Idaho, a firmly Republican state, the schools superintendent was obliged to remind teachers and bus drivers that pupils must show proper respect for elected officials, after parents complained that children on one school bus were chanting, “Assassinate Obama!”
Also featured is the incident where:
A Roman Catholic priest in South Carolina told his parishioners not to seek Holy Communion if they voted for Mr. Obama, because supporting him “constitutes material cooperation with intrinsic evil” as the President-elect backs abortion rights.”
Gee, didn’t that “conservative minded” Christian tell us that “the Right” doesn’t think that “the Left is “evil”… just wrong? Why yes, he did!
In another article also in The Telegraph it’s reported that there’s been an alarming upsurge in violent speech and threats against the President-elect and his supporters:
• Four North Carolina State University students admitted writing anti-Obama comments in a tunnel designated for free speech expression, including one that used a racial slur and said he should be shot in the head. Obama has received more threats than any other president-elect, authorities say.
• At Standish, Maine, a sign inside the Oak Hill General Store read: “Osama Obama Shotgun Pool.” Customers could sign up to bet $1 on a date when Obama would be killed. At the bottom of the marker board was written “Let’s hope someone wins.”
• Racist graffiti was found in places including New York’s Long Island, where two dozen cars were spray-painted; Kilgore, Texas, where the local high school and skate park were defaced; and the Los Angeles area, where swastikas, racial slurs and “Go Back To Africa” were spray painted on sidewalks, houses and cars.
• University of Alabama professor Marsha L. Houston said a poster of the Obama family was ripped off her office door. A replacement poster was defaced with a death threat and a racial slur. “It seems the election brought the racist rats out of the woodwork,” Houston said.
• Black figures were hanged by nooses from trees on Mount Desert Island, Maine, the Bangor Daily News reported. The president of Baylor University in Waco, Texas said a rope found hanging from a campus tree was apparently an abandoned swing and not a noose.
• Crosses were burned in yards of Obama supporters in Hardwick, New Jersey, and Apolacan Township, Pennsylvania. Cross burning has been used as an intimidation tactic by white supremacist groups like the Ku Klux Klan.
• A black teenager in New York City said he was attacked with a bat on election night by four white men who shouted ‘Obama.’
• In the Pittsburgh suburb of Forest Hills, a black man said he found a note with a racial slur on his car windshield, saying “now that you voted for Obama, just watch out for your house.”
Unfortunately, to paraphrase Mark Twain, reports of the death of racism in America have been greatly exaggerated.